Opposing the redevelopment project of Gandhi Ashram and its precincts, Tushar Gandhi, the great-grandson of Mahatma Gandhi, submitted Friday before the Gujarat High Court that "there should not be an unchecked authority to remove the representatives of the six trust representatives within the governing council" of the newly formed Mahatma Gandhi Sabarmati Ashram Memorial Trust (MGSAMT).
The five autonomous trusts have now been brought under the umbrella of MGSAMT "where there is state intervention" and this aspect needs to be taken into consideration and their autonomy "can be jeopardised" in such a situation, Advocate Bhushan Oza submitted on behalf of Tushar Gandhi who moved the public interest litigation.
The governing council of MGSAMT currently comprises representatives from four of the five existing trusts—Sabarmati Ashram Preservation and Memorial Trust (SAPMT), Khadi Gramodyog Samiti Trust, Sabarmati Harijan Ashram Trust (SHAT), Sabarmati Ashram Gaushala Trust, and Harijan Sevak Sangh—that own and manage the erstwhile 120-acre Gandhi Ashram area.
Oza pointed out the possibility of the 20-member MGSAMT governing council accommodating majority of its representatives who are not from the five trusts or with those with "no Gandhian background". The petitioner questioned if the trust would be able to maintain, protect and enhance "the Gandhian values and ethos" in such a scenario.
Subscriber Only Stories
The division bench has now listed the matter for August 18.
- "The Kingdom of God is Within You" - Don't Believe Scriptures, Trust Your Commonsense
- Namastrategy, A Long Term Strategy Based on Respect and Recognition
- Changing Facets Of Sexual Offences - An Indian Outlook
- Kashmir, What's Your Destiny?
- O P Bhatnagar - A Poet of Political Awakening
- Jammu and Kashmir - The Country Without a Post Office
- The Development of Old Age and Related Issues
- CFO Traits - Tailoring Leadership Skills
- Effects of Suffering on the Society and Believer
- Friday Night in a Box
- Turning Into a Website Mascot
- What Are the Real Fat Loss Secrets?
PIL against Ashram revamp: Can’t jeopardise autonomy of existing trusts, says Tushar Gandhi have 386 words, post on indianexpress.com at August 6, 2022. This is cached page on Asia News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.