In a bid to break the impasse on the ongoing strike called by the workers of the cash-strapped Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation (MSRTC), the ruling Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA) Government has announced a significant pay hike.
State Transport Minister Anil Parab, who announced a 41% wage hike for all MSRTC employees and called upon the agitators to resume duties immediately, said salaries would now be paid before the 10th of every month.
However, the Minister said the Government could not take a decision on the merger as it depended on the recommendations of the high-level committee which was appointed on the directives of the Bombay HC.
"I urge all striking staffers to present themselves at work by 8 a.m. on Thursday. Those who have been terminated will have their terminations revoked once they report for duty," he said.
However, the strikers refused to budge on their main demand of merger of the MSRTC, with unruly scenes witnessed in Mumbai's Azad Maidan and other places including Nashik and Aurangabad.
BJP leaders Gopichand Padalkar and Sadabhau Khot, prominent faces of the agitation, said in Mumbai they would decide only after consultation with the agitators.
"We will be talking with the MSRTC employees. We will spend the night in Azad Maidan and announce our decision by Thursday morning," Mr. Khot said.
Both Mr. Khot and Mr. Padalkar were present at the press conference with Mr. Parab.
As per the offer, the new pay which comes into effect this month, workers with one to ten years of service would see a rise in basic pay by ₹5000.
- News18 Evening Digest: Govt Says Over 66.07 Cr Covid Vaccine Doses Given to States, UTs So Far and Other Top Stories
- 5 massive announcements to come this week from social care to jabs for kids
- Salaries of Delhi govt ministers, Leader of Opposition set to increase to Rs 1.70 lakh
- Boris Johnson refuses to rule out more tax rises ahead of next election as he defends National Insurance hike
- Dividend tax rise: The staggering amount of money YOU could pay from April 2022
- Boris Johnson refuses to rule out MORE tax hikes but insists he’s trying to save people from ‘financial ruin’
- 'Massive Union dividend!' Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales to benefit from NI hike
- Companies eye financial penalties for unvaccinated workers
- Lockdown Tax: UK Govt Hammers Voters, Breaking Election Promise
- What next?! Boris refuses to rule out MORE tax rises after breaking manifesto pledge
- MPs back National Insurance hike to tackle NHS backlog and fund PM's care changes - but Labour oppose 'tax on jobs'
- Jacob Rees-Mogg fires warning shot over national insurance hike to fund social care
MVA Govt. announces pay hike; MSRTC workers refuse to budge have 437 words, post on www.thehindu.com at November 25, 2021. This is cached page on Asia News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.