Ten days after a controversial "gunfight" at Hyderpora in Srinagar in which at least two civilians were killed, Jammu and Kashmir Police on Wednesday claimed to have killed three alleged militants following a brief shootout in the city.
The police said one of the militants killed was involved in the killing of civilians in Srinagar recently. While police said the three were killed in a "gunfight" at Rambagh in Srinagar, witnesses said they were dragged out of a car and shot. The killings sparked protests in Srinagar, with agitated residents shouting slogans and the youth throwing stones.
"Acting on our own specific inputs regarding movement of terrorists in Rambagh area of Srinagar, a small team from Srinagar police signalled a suspected Santro vehicle to stop," police said in an official release. "However, the terrorists started firing indiscriminately on the police party from inside the car while trying to flee from the spot under the cover of fire."
Police said they retaliated, leading to a gunfight. "Police have identified the militants killed as Mehran Yaseen Shalla of Srinagar and Manzoor Ahmad Mir and Arfat Ahmad Sheikh of Pulwama. They said the militants were affiliated to The Resistance Front (TRF), which police say is a shadow group of the Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT).
Police said Mehran was involved in the killing of school principal and her colleague in Srinagar on October 7.
- Bangladesh police say may have shot hostage, missed attack warnings
- Twelve killed in Paris shooting, police say World
- Dallas shooter planned larger attacks, police say
- Two dead in police anti-terror raid in Belgium
- Death toll rises to six in London attacks, three suspects shot dead
- Orlando gunman likely 'radicalized' through internet, U.S. says
- Indonesia captures most-wanted Islamic militant
- Spain suspect says terror cell planned big attack on monuments
- Orlando gunman likely 'radicalized' through internet, US says
- Russian ambassador shot dead in Ankara gallery
- Tunisia policeman shot dead in beach massacre resort
- UK police reveal names of London attackers, say one investigated before
Encounter in Rambagh: Three shot in Srinagar, police say militants have 333 words, post on indianexpress.com at November 25, 2021. This is cached page on Asia News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.