An 80-year-old man was seriously injured after being stabbed in a mosque in Manchester.
A man in his 20s, who was understood to be a fellow worshipper, was arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm after the incident on Friday.
Officers were called to the mosque on Clarendon Road in Whalley Range shortly before 1.50pm and the victim was taken to hospital.
Greater Manchester Police said inquiries are ongoing but that the incident is not currently being treated as a hate crime.
Chief Inspector Faz Zaman said: “People will understandably be concerned that an elderly man has been stabbed in a place of worship, but we believe this is an isolated incident.
“Officers will remain in the area for the next few hours speaking to local residents and carrying out enquiries.
“We are in the very early stages of our investigation and I’d encourage anyone who was around Clarendon Road (that) afternoon, or with any information that could help our enquiries, to get in touch.”
- Prosecutors: Man's hatred was behind Minnesota mosque attack
- UK: 4 life-terms for Indian-origin man on stabbing spree
- Two Muslim women are stabbed under the Eiffel Tower by white female attackers shouting 'Dirty Arabs' after argument about dogs amid rising tensions after teacher was beheaded for Mohammed cartoons
- The terrifying moment knifeman who slit a 10-year-old boy's throat, stabbed two adults and ran over girl, 5, in random attacks was caught on camera as he is jailed for life
- Moment man, 24, dressed as a 'samurai' and armed with a sword is arrested after 'killing two and wounding five in Halloween horror spree' across Quebec City
- Man Jailed for Running Over 5-year-old, Slashing 10-year-old’s Neck, Stabbing Old Man and Young Mother
- Five Swedish Mosques Receive Letters With Threats, White Powder
- Austria admits 'intolerable mistakes' in intelligence checks on Vienna jihadist as armed cops raid city mosques that 'furthered the attacker's radicalisation' before he killed four
- Three Proud Boys are 'stabbed' in Washington DC after ringing in election night at a bar near the White House
- Sword-wielding man arrested after Halloween deaths in Quebec
- Veteran journalist, elder statesman, Bisi Lawrence, dies at 87
- Boy, 16, arrested on suspicion of murder of fellow teen in Milton Keynes
Elderly man stabbed in a Mosque by fellow worshipper have 356 words, post on www.telegraph.co.uk at August 18, 2018. This is cached page on Asia News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.